Weight Gain! Ugggh!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Beanogirl

New
Reaction score
I have simple partial seizures. I started out on Lamictal and it was working great but after 11 months and increasing my dosage, I got the worst acne of my life. It was horrible and was making me depressed. My dr. put me on Keppra but after only 4 months she took me off. I was depressed, moody (and mean!)and could sleep 24 hours at a time if I allowed myself. Not good when you have 3 kids to care for. I am now on Trileptal and I have only had a few episodes. It's been 2 months and I put on 7 lbs. Not a HUGE gain but enough that none of my clothes fit. I track my calories and only take in 1500 a day. I exercise 4 times a week for an hour. It's really starting to bother me. My doctor isn't very sympathetic. When I told her how constipated the medicine was making me when I first started she said to increase my fiber. I told her I track my fiber intake and I will increase it but I already eat a high fiber diet. She told me to eat an apple. It also makes me very, very tired. I'm only on 300 mg a day. Anyone else have weight gain on Trileptal?

I think some folks gain weight on Trileptal and some lose weight. These meds are no fun.

If you're only taking in 1500 calories a day, you might want to change it up a bit -- your system can go into "survival mode" and slow down your metabolism in response to taking in fewer calories on a daily basis.

You could try the "5/2" diet (if it's medically-safe for you). It's very simple: 5 days of normal eating, followed by 2 days where you consume only 500 calories a day. It's not easy, but it does prevent the slowing of the metabolism that can occur with daily calorie restriction.

What kind of exercise do you do? Steady state cardio? Interval training training? Resistance training?

I do 35 minutes on the elliptical and sometimes I do half my time on there and the other half on the bike. The rest of the time depends on the day. Mondays I ab and biceps, tuesday is dead lifts and shoulders, wed is my off day, thursday is leg press, hack squats and triceps and then repeat. I've been thinking of doing some cross fit type stuff in my home gym or doing an exercise dvd every other day. All the weight is in my stomach. It's annoying :zacepi:

Oh, and I should mention that I do allow myself cheat days. Today we ate steak, corn on the cob and potato salad for dinner. A bigger meal than I would normally eat. But if I'm eating my normal amount of calories all week I don't think one cheat day would cause me to gain weight so quickly!

If my neurologist won't switch me do you think I would benefit from seeing a nutritionists?

All the weight being in the stomach is so annoying!! Make the cardio work out intense, and ignore that so-called fat burning mode your elliptical might have. On your cardio days mix things up. Make one day steady state cardio, and the next day do intervals. Save your money from not buying those work out DVDs and hire an ACE certified personal trainer for a few sessions. He/she can tailor a workout to your needs and abilities, and by doing this you will be far more likely to stick with the program designed for you and get the results you want more efficiently. I've done this and I don't regret a single penny I spend! Good luck!

Beanogirl,

Have you had your thyroid checked? You may benefit by seeing an endocrinologist and having this done. Many folks with epilepsy and who take meds to control it also have hypothyroid. That can make a person gain some weight, regardless of all the exercise you may do, and feel really tired all the time. My thyroid problem started years ago when I started taking Tegretol, a cousin to Trileptal. Also, Trileptal can cause low sodium for some. I had to be taken off Trileptal because of the sodium issue.

Last edited:
Interesting. I have gained 3 stones.. from 12 to 15 stones. I'm tired all the time. I'm on Tegretol to name but one. I've just seen an endocrinologist because my testosterone level is low. He suggests I have my thyroid level checked. See doctor in two weeks :)

This is interesting ..Im on keppra and epilim and i starting gaining weight and im tired all the time Im still tired all the time but i was actually diagnosed with my underactive thyroid before i was diagnosed with epilepsy ... It can be hard to stop if your symptoms are mild

Back
Top Bottom