Why it's best to have Epilepsy...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I have to say this to Loudmouth "What Planet did you come from!!!!" I can't even get my seizures under control and someone is picking out the good points about having them totally weird (I have to say that)

totally agree

by no stretch of the imagination is this thread anything but an absurdly optimistic , predominantly therapeutic, exercise in looking on the bright side. I never read it as being literal in any sense. But I wouldn't say that it isn't brilliant , I personally think it is. It takes a certain mix of creativity and dauntlessness to even attempt to place a thing like epilepsy in a positive light.

Mine doesn't come from a head injury, or a disease of any sort. I've been checked out so I am pretty sure about this. I find myself trying to think of ways i can make it useful to me and it made me happy to see others were doing the same thing.

Your entire math class loves you for getting them out of that boring class early (now please do it during next weeks test? Lol)

I have another... you can skip the line at the ER by seizing in the waiting room, voila instant service

Hmmm.

Foremost, I think I enjoy life more [ironic, I know] because I realize how precious it is. In general, life is unpredictable, even more so with epilepsy--epilepsy has given me a cause, purpose, and passion to move forward despite all obstacles.

It's always great to challenge the doctors and neurologists :)

I stumped a group of 12 doctors at one of the best hospitals in upstate new york, for which I had 4 years of untreated seizures. I'm not sure why but I'm a tiny bit proud of stumping those doctors, they thought I was really interesting atleast. :noevil:

Ever since my epilepsy nurse identified lack of sleep as a probable trigger of mine. I mean severe lack of sleep mind you. My partner has insisted on getting the kids ready and taking them to school before work so I can stay in bed. I don't think he understood the severe lack of sleep. But I'm not complaining.

It's always great to challenge the doctors and neurologists :)

I love this one! I've been a challenge to neuros, doctors, and psychiatrists for over 30 years. One actually told me I was a challenging patient! No rhyme or reason for my seizures, depression sessions, and numerous other problems. I've even had docs apologize to me for making the wrong diagnosis because at times my "symptoms" didn't fit the "norm". Perhaps they all need to think outside their little boxes!:ponder:

You don't have to plan to take a personal day. You can have them spontaneously, and no one ever complains. ;)

I can now go to the pub without being pressured to drink :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know about you guys, but I get a lot more exercise from not being afraid to walk places that most people would consider too far.

Also, I learned at a much earlier age than most people to give myself space, to not be afraid to say no, and to not sweat the small stuff.

You also learn to not take your health for granted.

no one knows yet but the good thing about it is once its all out in the open it will take some wieght off my shoulders for a number of reasons :)

My family always say don't have a seizure here so I joke and turn my pretend seizure button off.it always gets a laugh. Also when shopping and u get to the packing into bags (grocery) I just have to say I don't feel well and someone else does it for me and I sit down. If I just say I don't feel good I can get out of doing anything. Lol ;)

You save money on public transport with your mum offering to be your personal (free!) taxi service. Can't say it's entirely good though since she's worried about me walking onto train tracks....

I kind of appreciate, in a weird and possibly conflicted way, the altered states of being that I think my epilepsy affords me. I say "I think", because I have probably had it most or all of my life so I guess I don't know what life would be like without it. I do know that the frequent memory flashbacks, the random deja vu experiences, the twisting of reality and the gaping holes in my memory, among other things, make my internal life more interesting. It also helps me see the world and other people and my own mortality in a different light. I guess as ong as I have it and can't really do anything about it I may as well take advantage of what I perceive it having to offer.

I'm sorry, but this is not something I thank G-d for every day. It is a bane on my existence and while it has made me stronger and I have thick skin to deal with the bs, this is not seizures...in any form...are not something I would wish on my worst enemy.

Back
Top Bottom