Why it's best to have Epilepsy...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I'm sorry, but this is not something I thank G-d for every day. It is a bane on my existence and while it has made me stronger and I have thick skin to deal with the bs, this is not seizures...in any form...are not something I would wish on my worst enemy.

Im sure this post doesn't mean were glad to have it....its a bit of light heartedness to find some good in a bad situation. I always browse this when im down and out and it always makes me smile :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

this is such an awesome thread :)

the comments about finding out your true friends and seeing the world differently bought a little tear to my eye, but the best thing?

it's amazing how the crowd at the bar on a busy friday night evapourates when you bowl in with massive panda eyes and scars on your face :p

So I am not trying to copy any other previous posts but depending on the family, friend, co-workers, etc. in your life it helps sort the selfless from the selfish people in your life. To be fair not everyone I know get's contacted about my health issues but what separates some people for me is the people that care enough to offer help or ask if you are having a bad day. These are generally the people that become a part of my much needed support for health and every day issues. I feel fortunate to have gathered such a group of people that I also have made it clear to them that anything I can do for them is definitely a no brainer. Since any epilepsy patient knows we have to ask for help more than the average person. :)

ay-men to that jen, i've become the Mr PC-FixIt for a lot of my friends and family. though it seems a simple task for me- and nowhere near as important as the support they give me- it's actually very much appreciated.

we've all got something we can give back :)

even if it's just being the one that goes to the bar for the drinks and getting served quicker :)

Slim Blue I know what you mean about everyone having something to offer. I think a lot of people discredit the fact that something they are blessed to have come to them easily as a talent, myself included. I consider things I help people with to be nothing big. In college I would help people by proofreading their papers because it was something that I enjoyed oddly enough. :ponder: Grammar was something that came pretty easy to me. Now I work customer service over the phone. I am a little nervous about going back to work with some new side effects, but I am depending on my strong points to pull me through the first few weeks. I have been off for about 6 weeks by the time that I have to go back. But I know that having epilepsy and the medical bills, emotions, etc that go with it helps me to understand better when people call in to say they can't pay their bill. My empathy for customers has been my strongest thing I have at work. I think all of us in these forums have been blessed with that though. Another thing we are stronger with because of epilepsy. :wave:

What a great thread. And Ditto Neil. I do not 'over-use it' but I do use it and no longer have shame about it.

Exactly the same here Janus.I did used to feel slighty guilty about it,but now rolls off the tounge like the alphabet.As you say,with no "shame".

Kindness of strangers.

I have lost count of the times random strangers have looked after me when I am really vulnerable. People who give first aid and don't walk on by.

Opportunity to educate.

We get to dispel myths about E and teach some basic first aid that might not just help us out if we have a seizure. I work with young people, after a party some passed out due to alcohol poisoning, kids knew the recovery position and the young person didn't choke on his vomit. Tres useful life skill!

My neuro not so hot ...

But his registrar wow mumma

Lust for life!

Ok sometimes you can't quite make it out of bed, and sometimes you feel crappy and ranty and ragey, but also knowing that my next seizure MIGHT turn migh brain to pudding does try to make me live in the moment. I tell people I love them lots, I not to put things off (not ridiculously crazy stuff like having a bath alone or riding a bike) but I go interesting places and hug stones and trees and make connections.

I think like an ancient Roman / Greek

We'd probably be worshiped as oracles, people would come from far and wide to hear our post ictal ramblings as divine messages from the Gods'. Of course by Joan of Arc's times we'd have probably been burned at the stake.

knowing that my next seizure MIGHT turn migh brain to pudding does try to make me live in the moment. I tell people I love them lots, I not to put things off.

:crying:

We'd probably be worshiped as oracles, people would come from far and wide to hear our post ictal ramblings as divine messages from the Gods'.

:roflmao:

thank you queenie for making me laugh and cry all in the same 10 seconds. it's good advice too about telling people you love them, as i'm on my way to surgery it's def something i need to do more.
and YES! post-ictal babble haha. little secret to the rest of the world that we're actually to be worshipped :rock:

Good luck with surgery qtowngirl.

Reading on the wacky Roman's recently apparently a well known cure for epilepsy was a pint of fresh gladiators blood.

I have a friend who is a gladiatrix and I did ask if she could spare some (she is a re-enactor). Happy to be the first test subject but if its wildly successful I shall see if she can spare enough for us all.

I tried taking the waters at the Roman Bath's in Bath (awesome temple to Minerva) but it tasted like arse and alas did not cure my E but no side effects either so slightly better than modern medicine eh? The modern thermal spa was very nice too which I got into for FREE because I have a disability!

Queenie- I love that message! thank you! And I have read about many native cultures ( including native Americans) and even today in parts of the South Pacific Islands where epileptics are seen as shamans or spiritual speakers!

Considering I have no idea what I am saying or doing after a seizure, who knows maybe I am are spouting great knowledge (not!!!)
That made my morning after a really hard week Thanks Queenie

AS a poet I LOVE this piece! It is brilliant and he is not trying to hide a disability but just make a great poem with real feeling...

I can relate to blaming things on meds, haha do it all the time- either I'm too tired to do something or I forget to do something that I didn't particularly want to do anyway, don't quite mind it :)

And I definitely, without a doubt found out who my true friends were when I was diagnosed. Not only because of who visited/checked up on me, but also by who disappeared when I wasn't able to head out to the bars anymore

Last, and possibly most importantly, I've learned to really take advantage of every day. Though SUDEP is rare, it is possible- so every night I make sure there isn't something I feel bad about, or something I wish I had done

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom