Kepprage: How do you de-stress?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Junebug

New
Reaction score
I've been on Keppra-XR for almost 2 wks now and have been "Kepprage" that has been discussed here for about 1 wk every day. It's just little things like my daughter (7) won't listen to me when I tell her (several times) to clean her room, do her chores, or her homework, etc. This morning she and my youngest were playing in the kitchen while I was trying to fix bkfst for them and I told them they needed to sit down at the table. Even though they moved over closer to the table they kept playing and I told them again, (calmly,) and they kept playing. A third time I told them to sit down and they didn't even acknowlege me and I just blew up and yelled at them! They had a look of horror on their face so I went in my room and told my husband to take care of the girls cuz I can't control them while I laid down.

I've never been like this before and I don't like to yell at the girls. I'll never lay a hand on them, I'm not abusive but if I'm yelling at them like just because they won't listen to me that to me is abusive because I am scaring them.

I stay at home with the girls and need to be a loving mom to them who doesn't yell at them just because they won't listen. The Keppra has been great for me, 2 wks and seizure free, (I should have had at least 3-5 grand-mals by the end of this weekend) and I don't want to quit it without even giving it a fair try. I see my dr the 26 of Jan and am going to speak with him about it but wanted to see what you all have done/do when you experience "Kepprage"

Last edited by a moderator:
Try a vitamin B6 supplement.

Yup. I have this very same problem and my neurologist said theres nothing i could really do about it. Angry? Easily irritated? and sometimes easily sad or cry easily. Thats my problem. IT SUCKS so much but keppra is the only thing that works for me so i have to suffer through it. Hmm with kids i see how that would be difficult. Are they old enough that you can explain it to them? So they understand that your not really that mad with them, it just happens.I take the vitamins but that doesnt do anything for me, but everyone is different. Fish oil maybe? Getting alot of sun was also recommended for mood...but that didnt do much for me either lol I usually just warn people that sometimes im easily irritated so dont take it personally.

ABSTRACT
1 Michael G. Chez, 1 Michael Murescan, and 1 Stefani Kerschner ( 1 Neurology, Rosalind Franklin University/The Chicago Medical School, North Chicago, IL )

Rationale: Levetiracetam is a newer antiepileptic drug which has proven useful for add-on and monotherapy in pediatric refractory epilepsy. Behavioral problems have been reported including irritability, mood swings, and depression. Sometimes underlying behavioral problems predated starting the levetiracetam. This side effect profile has sometimes led to discontuation of the drug even when it was effective for epilepsy control. There have been prior anecdotal reports of vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) helping this behavioral problem in some patients. This led to trying this as first line treatment for patients treated with levetiracetam who developed these behavioral complaints. A retrospective chart review was done analyzing whether the addition of vitamin B6 helped these behavioral symptoms.

Methods: 21 consecutive patients started on levetiracetam (average dose 313mg/day) were observed for behavioral side effects and if they occurred vitamin B6 was started. The charts charts of these patients were retrospectively reviewed to see how many children had responded.

Results: The results showed 12/16 patients improved behaviors (2 patients did not improve, 2 did not have enough data to conclude effectiveness). There were 9 females/7 males with average age 8.16 years (range 3–21 years). Average dosage was 313 mg/day for levetiracetime. Average vitamin B6 dosage was 118mg/day (range 50–400mg/day).

Conclusions: This retrospective chart review looked at behavioral side effects from levetiracetam and the treatment by addition of vitamin B6 to treat this reported problem. This study showed a 75% response rate in this pediatric series. This warrants a controlled prospective trial of vitamin B6 in the future in patients with behavioral side effects of this anticonvulsant. (Supported by Investigator Initiated Grant from UCB Pharma.)

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2005.460801_16.x

Been to Keppra's dark side and got the heck out!

Keppra is one medication I could not tolerate,
even when I was titrated all the way up to
3000 mg (1500 x 2)! I experienced all kinds
of side effects and with all honesty, I had NO
INTENTIONS of being in competition with
"Whacko Jacko" (aka Michael Jackson) ~ I was
totally beside myself! Outrage as in outbursts
was not the issue, it was to the fact I was angry,
and rather than "talking", I was snippy or snappy,
whatever terminology you used. It was totally
out of character for me and I had to be taken
off of it ...

HOWEVER out of fairness - Keppra is a wonder
drug for many, and a nightmarish from hell for
others - so it is a 50/50 coin-toss with that
specific drug. GOOD NEWS IS - they (N euro-
science) have come up with a "sister" drug of
Keppra, which is supposed to have less side
effects than what Keppra is notoriously known
for ... a lot of people are excited about this,
plus the news is - the need for the vitamin
supplement is not necessary with this upcoming
drug as well ...

Last edited:
Thanks for your input! I'm going to try the V-B6 supplement.

Keppra has been wonderful for me so far as far as no seizures, but when it puts me into these rages and I start yelling at my daughters for stupid reasons I feel like a monster. :(

I took B-6 for a while then forgot to buy some more. lol But I am on Keppra mixed with topamax,and zonegran.a;lddfkkjf!!!!!!!!!!! I lose it to. So try not to feel to bad. I also found out from the doc, that it can cause some depression.

I'm up to the max dosage of Keppra, 3000 mgs a day, along with Topamax, and experience the rage, depression,etc. However, I experienced all of this before starting these meds. All of those emotion/psycho problems started for me after the lobectomy.

I take the B6 when I remember, and de-stress by listening to calm music and walking, writing, and remembering to journal again, or taking a time out from a stressful situation. I also take an anti-depressant along with the AEDs. :(

Cindy

Oh Cindy, I know how you are feeling. I wish we could all meet one another and just hug. I have been down , really down. I never felt it until (status, coma, cancer) I just don't have the same passion I used to any more. My son keeps me going because I want him to have a happy childhood and adulthood mostly about epilepsy. This is making me cry. How can I do this alone?As soon as I feel better , Alex starts having seizures.I know somehow things will be ok. They will be ok. They have to be. They just have to be. Music does work. Singing works, even listening to children laughing makes me feel better. Because they have no stress. Teresa

Oh Teresa, Big, huge, gigantic (((HUG))) :e: You are a very strong woman, but it can get so overwhelming for all of us at times...even the strongest among us. :e:

Regarding Kepprage,

I am on 4000 mg. of Keppra a day, and I have been for a long time. In the beginning, the rage was horrible (I shrieked and screamed at work, almost slapped my boss, and quit my job on-the-spot! :eek: I am usually described as kindhearted, thoughtful, and dependable...Not a lunatic!!!):paperbag:

Now, I no longer rage, but I do have some bad mood swings. To destress, I usually write poetry or write in a journal. I also like to do mind-game puzzles and decorate my house.

Take care! Sending seizure-free thoughts your way. -Julie

Thanks for your input! I'm going to try the V-B6 supplement.

Keppra has been wonderful for me so far as far as no seizures, but when it puts me into these rages and I start yelling at my daughters for stupid reasons I feel like a monster. :(

Welcome to the club!... :-(( I will also try the B6 supplement, It is sometime difficult to recognize myself these days.

Cheers,

Take a moment and try one of the following....

'pump up the jams'...

'tickle the ivories'...

'grind your axe'...

'stack some wax'...

'move to the groove'...

'roll over Beethoven'...

'turn it up to 11'...

....I could go on but you get MY drift. ANYTHING music-related (IMHO) is a worthy attempt to soothe the savage beasties. I hope it works for you like it works for me!

Peace and good luck!
Speber
:rock:

Well I have some music on now and it has been a good day. Thank you for the hugs. I am on 750 mlg in the morning , they are lowering it, and 1500 at night. I dont know what is going to happen though when I tell them I can not stand the topamax. Total airhead lol.

Hugs to you. Some days, some weeks, just seem like its too much but i promise is not. Hang in there. Find comfort in the small things. Enjoy your good moments. Enjoy the laughter. I am so sorry for all you have been thru but I can you are a wonderful person from your posts* If you every need to rant, Im around.
joan*

I am on Keppra. I have the side effects that went with the studies.

I am irritable, have mood swings and depression. I am taking the B-6 as well. I am going to have to talk to my neurologist about this.

I am irritable, have mood swings and depression. I am taking the B-6 as well. I am going to have to talk to my neurologist about this.

I was on Keppra for a couple of mounts and I was having those side effects plus a very acute feeling of not having all my brain working. I did bring it up to the neurologist over an email. The answer was quick to come.

I did switched to Trileptal over Christmas, a side from a TC the day after I left Keppra, all is going well. See:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/follow-up-keppra-5328/

Cheers,

Hi there~

I experienced Keppra rage for the 2 1/2 months I was on the stuff. Horrible anger, severe panic attacks...my poor kids and husband still talk about how terrible it was. Basically I gave up all parenting decisions to my husband because I didn't trust myself to make any rational decisions.

Vitamin B6 did not help me. What helped a little was adding some Klonopin during my anxiety attacks. But really not much helped the rage, and since I started having tonic clonics every week to two weeks, there was no more point to staying on it.

I hope you can find something to help.

I just think now its so much about quality of life. Neurofeedback and getting on the right med. I'm watching out for me and my son now. I really thought I was before, but I've had it.

Hi Swimmy
You really went through a lot. I do not have it that bad on Keppra. I am on klonopin as well. I hope you get better.

Hi stilldancing98
Do both of you have epilepsy or just one of you and your son?
Getting on the right med is not easy. Maybe Neurofeedback will be better for you. Try it!! Keep us posted and let us know how it works out.

Back
Top Bottom