Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

omg i suffer with depression/anziety/suicidal and self harm thoughts/ptsd and ppd - my meds are on that list

Does anyone have bad side effects from dilantin? I seem to be depressed and tired a lot. My husband asks me what I'm depressed about so we can talk about it but I can never give an answer because I don't know why.

I was a meloncholy kind of kid, particularly in puberty. Always thought it was the hormones made me that way. I wonder how our natural personality traits make us predisposed to depression?

When I had my bad spell way back when, I became agoraphobic. My life was such that I was relied on to take on many tasks because my family couldn't. Children were too little and husb. at the time was handicapped and couldn't. So I had no choice but to get myself better somehow.

I do know never to go back on phenobarbitol or mysoline. Blkkk for what that stuff did to me.

My family thought I was crazy. My neighbors thought I was psycho. My minister discounted anything drug related. How I wish all those people would read this whole thread. Today I feel validated.

Right now I'm slightly agoraphobic. I do go out but am very happy to come back home. I have just a few friends and no desire to enlarge that group. The only place I feel content is my home. Otherwise I have anxiety. I wonder how the medicine plays into that.

Thank you Elsie,

I was put on Mysoline (primidone) for tremors. I did not know that it was phenobarbital. I am allergic to phenobarbital. It needs to be put on the list, here.

I am very tired and I am sleeping more and more. I am going to talk to my doctor about getting off of it. I know I have to do it slowly because I have had status epilepticus in the past. That was before I was put on Mysoline.

While I don't doubt that those medications could cause mood problems and actions because of them, I do wonder how many people felt depressed or had had suicidal feelings in their past before the studies began. I have bipolar disorder as well, and have had suicidal thoughts before medicated and while on meds (when the levels were too low) and I (personally) don't blame my medications. My asthma medication happens to list wheezing as a side effect, but how many people with asthma were already wheezing?

I have been on medications for 61 years and I have never had sucicidal thoughts. These medicines have been listed as causing "sucidial thoughts." Sucidal thoughts does not mean that a person is going to commit suicide. There is a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom