Your memory is bad when....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

The tie a string method doesn't work anymore. So you need to tie a string to actual item(s) you need to remember. IE: grocery shopping bag, dry cleaning, dog's leash (worst case scenario with the dog attached), etc.

Recently I made a pot of coffee got 2/3rds of the way filling the filter in the basket and realized there was no filter. A simple inexpensive error, mistake. The other day could have been worse. I work in a building where you can't have electronic devices and need to lock them up in the lobby in lock boxes. I locked up my fitbit, brand new tablet (new case and screen protector) and my bluetooth heart rate monitor I use during my workout (roughly $500.00 in all). Went to work for the morning at my desk. When I went to get my stuff to go to my workout I couldn't find my key to my lockup. I looked and realized I never locked or took the key. I didn't tell my wife about that one. I have enough other miscues that worries here enough (shopping, names, numbers, etc).

Recently I made a pot of coffee got 2/3rds of the way filling the filter in the basket and realized there was no filter. A simple inexpensive error, mistake. The other day could have been worse. I work in a building where you can't have electronic devices and need to lock them up in the lobby in lock boxes. I locked up my fitbit, brand new tablet (new case and screen protector) and my bluetooth heart rate monitor I use during my workout (roughly $500.00 in all). Went to work for the morning at my desk. When I went to get my stuff to go to my workout I couldn't find my key to my lockup. I looked and realized I never locked or took the key. I didn't tell my wife about that one. I have enough other miscues that worries here enough (shopping, names, numbers, etc).

That's scary. I have left the office building unlocked all night. Tenant files, checks, computer, etc. Thankfully so far I have always put the alarm on.

I now ask the guy across the hall to gently push on the door. If it acts like it might open to call me.

So far I haven't left the keys in the lock. I have the key that unlocks every door here.

Yesterday I left my employer's credit card at the store. I do blame that on the fact that it has a chip in it and you have to leave it in the card reader until the transaction is completed though.

MY memory has always been bad, I don't know if it's the seizures , medication or just my natural self. As a example I have trouble with directions to places I should know or forget names of people I known for a while which can be embarrassing I usually wait for it to come back or some one else to talk to them and mention their name. My wife says jockingly this is because I have fried my brain.

I hate it when I go to the grocery store to by something, like salad dressing, but I can never remember what brand or flavor it is that I love and always buy!

Or when you make to do lists but can't remember where you put them.

I was cleaning my desk at work the other day and found a note at work 2011 when I was try to track down medical records. I tried to contact the lady I was dealing with but she had retired. I have to start all over again now as the doctor I was trying to retrieve my medical records moved out west. Notes to remind you of things only work if you don't lose them or forget where you put them!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Well I went to see my doc the other day and he said just by talking to me he could tell I was having seizures. I kept repeating myself and so forth. It wasn't the meds any more, it was status petit mall all day every day, so we are changing meds.

My wife has learned not to interrupt me when I'm telling her something. If she interrupts I usually forget within seconds what I was telling/asking her. I once looked all over the office for my coffee cup thinking where the heck did I leave. Sitting down in disgust (thank you spell check as I couldn't spell disgust) somebody hands me my coffee that I just spent ten minutes looking for it while it was in the microwave. The worst is missing medication. I think one week I missed my medication three different times. Once it was two days in a row. I could tell I missed it as my body felt almost jittery. Don't ask me what the church service was about when I get home because I normally forget once I get to the car. I think my family is getting used to me repeating stories. I usually start stories now by saying "I don't remember if I told you this story..." and the response is usually that I have told them many many times.

Making food and then putting the food and dishes in the trash and putting meat in kitchen drawers
I haven't forgotten my clothes but I have several times hopped in the shower with some/all of my clothes still on and it takes me a minute to figure out why my skin feels weird until I try to bathe the clothed part :paperbag:

I'll go upstairs in my house to do something, but forget what I went upstairs to do when I arrive up there. The other day I had an opposite experience. I was talking to someone while I was upstairs about something I needed to do but I had to go downstairs to do it. So, I went downstairs, but I forgot to do it. I realized it two hours later. Crazy!

My wife was telling me something the other night and by the time she finished telling me she looked at me and said "you forgot already". She was right because I did. I was even looking her in the eyes trying g to focus on what she was saying.

You forget what you ate, less than a half hour after eating it. :(

So you write it down to make a food diary, but forget where you put the diary.

My wife and I were laying in bed last night talking about which weeks the kids are away at camp the rest of the summer. We talked about recently we had a rendevous in the bedroom that involved delaying supper because the kids were going to be home in three hours. When she first mentioned it I asked her how long ago it was. She was quite surprised and thought I was joking. I had no recollection of our rendezous that was only two days ago. Once she started telling me the whole story it started coming back to me vaguely.

My wife said this eplilepsy / medication related memory issues is ruining our marriage in a manner of sorts. Its not ruinning our marriage in a way that says "I don't want to be here anymore", more in a way that memories of things that we do seems to be there and sometimes the memories are "no where to be found".

gnault,

I'm not married, but I've been with the same man for 9 years. I don't always remember our rendezvous or certain details days later. I think what's important is that we love each other and are happy together. My point is I don't believe we have to remember everything, just be happy together. I have a great long term memory. There are things I remember from years ago that he doesn't remember, but I don't get mad at him or upset b/c he doesn't remember. For example, I remember details of how he used to flirt with me before we even went out on our first date. He doesn't remember all the details I remember.

There may be things you remember that your wife does not remember.

Last edited:
gnault,

Oh yeah. I remember something very specific from my first or second rendezvous (not sure which one) with my boyfriend that I will never forget. We even talk about it sometimes. So, maybe you remember something from a past rendezvous that you could tell your wife about.

You tell a co worker something then you say something to them a little while later & they have to tell you that you already told them lmao

You remember telling a friend about an injury he suffered. You explain how he told the story about him standing on his toilet to hang a clock, fell, then hit his head on the sink.

The you realize that wasn't you, it was Marty McFly. lol

Back
Top Bottom